Sixth Sunday of Easter

John 14:15

Rev. Neli Miranda

 

During the past few months, I have experienced what it is like to feel like an orphan, even though I am an adult. Within a matter of eleven months my mother and father passed away leaving me with a deep feeling of orphanhood. Hence, Jesus’ words, "I will not leave you orphans" touch me and make me think of the difficult moments that the first community of disciples experienced when Jesus announced his coming departure. In today’s Gospel we read that Jesus can perceive how they feel, that is, like orphans! Orphanhood brings about deep feelings of intense sadness and grief, of helplessness, vulnerability, hopelessness, and loneliness.  Jesus recognizes that his departure distresses his disciples and in the midst of this moment of acute feelings, Jesus tenderly calms down his disciples by saying, “I will not leave you orphaned.”

 

Jesus also encourages his disciples to take heart for a Helper is coming to be with them, And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever.” Jesus uses the word “Advocate” which in Greek is Paracletea word filled with complex meaning. Originally, it meant someone called to help in a court of law; it referred to a qualified, strong person who could help in times of trouble.  In the Jewish tradition this word was used to refer to angels, prophets, and the just, as advocates before God’s court. Paraclete also acquired the meaning of “consoler”.  Note then how Jesus tactfully makes use of the rich and broad use of this word to encourage his disciples to stand firm during and after his departure because they will not be left “as orphans”—children, alone and helpless; the Advocate, that is the Holy Spirit, is coming to dwell with and in them.  

In the midst of a critical time, have you experienced that intense feeling of orphanhood… sadness, vulnerability, hopelessness, and loneliness?  Have you called your Advocate?

Jesus adds that this is the Spirit of Truth, “You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.” So far, Jesus has been with them and showed them the truth. Further, he has declared himself as the Truth who speaks of the Father and shows the Father to the world. Now, he is leaving but not his presence and he remarks, “I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you.”  Jesus is the Spirit of Truth that guides them, and he will return to them not physically but as a Divine Breath to inspire and strengthen them.

Sometime after my mother and father passed away, I began to feel their presence within me. I was experiencing another level of relationship!  I began to treasure their teachings, their dreams, their hopes, their struggles, and I wanted to be like them . . . And I became them. This astounding feeling made me think of the disciples in the moment Jesus says to them, “I am coming to you.” In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me . . . They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.” The community of disciples, Jesus says, will experience God in a different way, at another level, as a total community, all of them living in the Father’s house, guided by the Divine Force, the Holy Spirit. Jesus declares that both he and the Father will come and take up residence in the community of disciples.

How great it is to be Jesus disciples and dwell all together in the Father’s house!

On a personal level, I no longer feel orphaned for now my parents and I dwell together.  Likewise, we, as Jesus’ disciples, are not orphaned for we live in the Father’s house. We are not lonely, helpless, and defenseless.  We dwell in this great community because we love Jesus, have his commandments, and keep them. So, let us stay on the Way, follow the Truth and seek Life, Jesus himself! Amen.



https://clcbconline.com/you-are-not-orphans/

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog